Furagin (furazidin) is an antibacterial drug of the nitrofuran series. It has a damaging effect on the components of the microbial cell, which leads to its death.
It is used to treat diseases of the urogenital system and prostate gland (cystitis, pyelonephritis, urethritis, prostatitis). It is necessary to take tablets during the food, rich with proteins that urine had the acidic environment for the best digestion of Furagin.
For prophylaxis it is necessary to take 1 tablet at bedtime once a day. For the treatment of diseases - 2 tablets three times a day for 7-10 days, and on the first day you need to take 2 tablets 4 times a day. If necessary, after 2 weeks of treatment can be repeated.
Antibacterial drug, nitrofuran derivative. Uroantiseptic.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
Can be bought without a doctor's prescription.
How much does Furagin in pharmacies? The average price in 2018 is at 250 rubles.
Composition and release form
Furagin according to the instructions produced in tablets and capsules of 50 mg, as well as in the form of soluble powder in cans of 100 g each.
Each tablet contains 50 mg of the active active ingredient, furazidina, as well as a number of additional auxiliary components.
Furagin is a representative of nitrofuran antimicrobial agents. The mechanism of action of furazidine, the main active ingredient of the drug, is aimed at restraining the formation of nucleic acids in bacteria, and this in turn prevents their reproduction. Under the action of furazidina, the cytoplasmic membranes and outer membranes of bacteria are destroyed. When using Furagin in microorganisms, the most important biochemical cycles are inhibited, in particular the tricarboxylic acid cycle and the respiratory chain. Thus, the further vital activity of bacteria becomes impossible and the amount of toxins emitted by bacteria and other products of their vital activity decreases sharply.
The bacteriostatic effect of the drug is essential. Furagin is active against Gram-positive (Streptococcus and Staphylococcus) and Gram-negative bacteria (in particular Salmonella, E. coli, Klebsiella and Shigella). However, its use is ineffective in infections caused by enterococci, pyocyanic sticks, proteins and some other microorganisms.
Against the background of the application of Furagin, the immune system is activated, the ability of leukocytes to destroy the pathogenic bacteria is stimulated. When using the drug in patients, there is an increase in non-specific protective proteins in the blood. Due to this multifaceted effects on the body, it is considered one of the most effective antimicrobial agents. After oral administration of Furagin, the drug is rapidly absorbed by the intestines and furazidin enters the lymph, stopping the further spread of bacteria through the lymphatic system, thereby blocking the development of infection. A few hours after taking the drug, furazidin enters the urine, with which it is removed from the body.
The main difference between Furagin and other antibiotics is the absence of systemic effects. That is, furazidin, entering the body, enters the urinary system and produces an antiseptic effect on its organs (in particular the kidneys, urethra and bladder). Therefore, Furagin is indicated for use as an antiseptic for purulent wounds and certain gynecological diseases.
Indications for use
An antimicrobial agent of the nitrofuran group is prescribed in the following cases:
- infectious and non-infectious inflammatory process of the prostate gland and urinary tract (cystitis, urethritis, pyelonephritis);
- in pediatric practice for young patients with congenital abnormalities of the urinary tract;
- as a prophylactic agent for chronic forms of the disease of the organs of the urogenital system, for catheterization of the bladder for a long time (to prevent the development of microorganisms that have accidentally entered the urethra during the procedure).
Furagin is one of the most frequently prescribed drugs for cystitis.
Such popularity is due to the fact that this medicine has a local effect on the organs of the urinary system, stopping the growth of pathogenic microorganisms, increasing general immunity and eliminating inflammatory processes. Furagin has a specific composition, and it does not affect all microorganisms, but since it belongs to the group of nitrofurans and has a directional effect, it is in many cases more effective than systemic broad-spectrum antibiotics.
In addition, the strains of microorganisms living in the urinary system do not develop resistance to the drug, as is the case with the use of many antibiotics, and therefore Furagin can be reused effectively, or as a prophylactic agent to prevent the development of relapses.
The drug has a number of contraindications, so before you start using tablets, you should carefully read the accompanying instructions. Furagin tablets can not be taken orally in the presence of one or more states:
- kidney disease, accompanied by dysfunction of the body;
- abnormal liver function;
- child age less than 1 year;
- pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- hypersensitivity to the drug;
- intolerance to derivatives of the nitrofuran series.
Appointment during pregnancy and lactation
Apply Furagin during pregnancy is contraindicated. If taking the pills is necessary during lactation, breastfeeding is stopped and continued only after the agent is completely eliminated from the body.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use, the dosage for adults at the beginning of treatment is 2 tablets 4 times on the first day after the onset of the disease. On the second day, you can reduce the dosage to 2 tablets 3 times a day. The course of treatment is 7-10 days, and is determined individually, depending on the disease and the general condition of the body. If necessary, treatment is repeated according to the above scheme in 10-15 days.
For children, dosages are determined at the rate of 5 mg per 1 kg of body weight. It is necessary to combine reception of Furagin with the child with protein food and enough water. When indicated, the treatment is repeated after 10-15 days.
Furagin can also be used to prevent the recurrence of diseases of the urinary system. For this purpose, it is enough to use 1-2 tablets 1 time per day, preferably in the evening.
All of this information is the general requirements for receiving Furagin, and can not be used for self-treatment. Be sure to consult with your doctor before starting therapy, and stick to their prescribed scheme.
When taking pills Furagin in patients with increased individual sensitivity to nitrofuranam may have side effects:
- allergic reactions - a rash on the skin, urticaria, itchy skin, angioedema, anaphylactic shock;
- on the part of the nervous system - headaches, polyneuritis, dizziness, irritability, sleep disturbances, aggression, apathy, lethargy;
- on the part of the digestive system - nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite, abnormal liver function, flatulence, diarrhea.
If one or more side effects occur, you must stop taking the pills and consult a doctor for advice.
Symptoms of overdose:
- disruption of the functioning of the central nervous system: inflammation of the peripheral nerves, psychosis, worsening of mood;
- allergic reactions: angioedema, urticaria, bronchospasm;
- disruption of the liver.
In the case of the use of the drug in doses above the norm, gastric lavage is prescribed, as well as medical elimination of symptoms of overdose. In severe situations, hemodialysis is indicated.
In order to avoid nausea after taking the drug, the tablet should be drunk after a meal, and not on an empty stomach.
In order to prevent side effects from the digestive tract organs, the pill should be washed down with a sufficient amount of liquid.
The experience of using the drug in pediatric practice is severely limited, but if necessary, Furagin tablets can be prescribed for the treatment of children older than 1 year. The doctor calculates the dose of the drug and the duration of the course of therapy on an individual basis for each patient, depending on the weight of his body.
Compatibility with other drugs
A decrease in the effectiveness of the drug and an increase in the concentration of its active substance in plasma is observed when combined with the means of nalidixoic acid, as well as drugs that increase the level of uric acid in the urine.
Interaction with drugs that reduce the acidity of gastric juice and include magnesium trilixad in the composition can lead to a pronounced decrease in the degree of absorption of the drug.
We offer to read the reviews of people who used Furagin:
- Margarita. Really working tool, I have absolutely no side effects. I finish the course of treatment (10 days) and there has not been a single relapse since the start of treatment. I combine it with phytolysin paste (it helped well with exacerbation of cystitis, but did not remove the “seizures”) and diuretic herbal teas / collections. The main thing with urological diseases is to drink at least 2 liters per day!
- Oksana. Thanks to furagin, I cured my cystitis. He was appointed by the doctor. Honestly, I heard more than once that he does not help everyone and wondered if he would help me. But all doubts are now behind. The doctor herself explained to me that if I didn’t notice any improvement after applying furagin for 1-2 days, I would need to inform her about it, and she, in turn, would look at which antibiotic or medicine to give me further.
- Angelina I sat in the cold and cystitis was not long in coming. The terrible symptoms of burning, pain. For two days I was treated with “Urolesan”, “Kanefron” - everything is useless. What I was most afraid of happened — inflammation had risen to the kidneys. Terrible pain, constant, which does not pass even at night. They wanted to go to the hospital, but I bought “Furagin” by myself and after the first pill I felt better, and after a day the pain completely subsided. Small yellow pills that are convenient to swallow. There were no side effects, except for pronounced sleepiness, but maybe this is for another reason. Then he shut up "Monural" and removed everything as a hand.
Structural analogues of Furagin include drugs Furazidin, Furamag or Furazol. In addition, in cases of intolerance to nitrofurans, the doctor may replace Furagin with other antimicrobial agents with similar therapeutic effects, for example, Furadonin, Monural or Fosfomycin.
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
Keep the medicine in a dry place inaccessible to sunlight. The temperature should be up to 30 ° C. Keep out of the reach of children.