Prospan is a phytopreparation based on ivy extract, intended for the treatment of cough.
The medicine contains saponins, flavonoids and triterpenoids. It has antitussive, antispasmodic, antimicrobial and expectorant effects, reduces the viscosity of sputum, facilitating its discharge from the bronchi.
It is important that the drug does not suppress the activity of the respiratory center, located in the reticular formation of the medulla oblongata, which is characteristic of codeine-like drugs and other synthetic preparations of central action.
Phytopreparation with expectorant and bronchospasmolytic action.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much does Prospan cost in pharmacies? The average price is at 350 rubles.
Release form and composition
Today Prospan can be purchased in a pharmacy in three forms:
- syrup in a glass container for children and adults, which comes with a dosing cap;
- syrup in miniature sachets, each containing 5 ml of liquid;
- Drops in containers with a dropper cap are used orally as well as inhalations.
Each type of drug has a different amount of active substance. This should be remembered before starting treatment:
- per milliliter of syrup contains 7 mg of ivy extract in the form of a dry powder - this applies to both the contents of the vial and the bag;
- in milliliter drops - 20 mg of active ingredient.
Prospan is a herbal cough medicine used as a symptomatic therapy in the treatment of acute (pharyngitis, laryngitis, tracheitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, the initial stages of whooping cough) and chronic inflammatory diseases of the respiratory tract, accompanied by cough with difficult to separate sputum.
Prospan reduces sputum viscosity and promotes its discharge, and also provides:
- Mucolytic action in which decreases viscosity and dilution of sputum, which is difficult to separate, practically without increasing it in volume.
- Expectorant effect - in which the process of sputum release from the respiratory tract is facilitated mainly by reducing its viscosity.
- An antispasmodic effect prevents the occurrence of bronchospasm (dilates the bronchi and prevents the development of their narrowing).
Due to the bronchodilator action of Prospan, dry (non-productive), obsessive cough is stopped, and due to expectorant and mucolytic effects, the cough is transformed (translated) from dry to wet, patients begin to cough up sputum, which is an important principle in the treatment of cough. In addition, there is evidence of antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects of Prospan.
Indications for use
What helps? Prospan is indicated for use in various inflammatory pathologies of the lungs and bronchial tree (bronchitis, tracheitis, pneumonia), accompanied by the production of viscous sputum and the difficulty of its discharge.
The general contraindication for Prospan is individual hypersensitivity to its components. It is not recommended to use the drug during pregnancy and during breastfeeding due to insufficient data on the safety of its use during this period.
- Inhalation is contraindicated: children under 2 years of age (risk of laryngospasm), bronchial asthma, a tendency to laryngospasm.
- Use with caution: abnormal liver function, brain disease, traumatic brain injury.
- Oral intake is contraindicated: children up to 1 year of age, alcoholism and other conditions in which the use of ethyl alcohol is prohibited.
Do not take Prospan syrup with glucose-galactose malabsorption, fructose intolerance, sucrase / isomaltase deficiency.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
There is not enough data on the efficacy and safety of the use of the drug during pregnancy and lactation; therefore, it is not recommended to use the drug for this group of people.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicate that Prospan syrup is used inside, after shaking. Dosing of the drug is made using a measuring cup.
- Infants (0-1 year old) - 2.5 ml, 2 times / day.
- Small children (1-6 years) - 2.5 ml 3 times / day.
- School-age children and adolescents - 5 ml 3 times / day.
The course of treatment is determined by the severity of the disease, the minimum course of treatment should be 1 week. To consolidate the therapeutic effect, it is recommended that after the disappearance of the symptoms of the disease continue treatment for another 2-3 days. In the absence of improvement of the condition, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Inside Children aged 1-3 years, 10 drops 3-5 times a day; children 4-7 years old, 15 drops 3-5 times a day; children over 7 years old and adults 20 drops 3-5 times a day. Drops must be taken before meals. Small children are recommended to give drops with a small amount of water. The course of treatment is determined by the severity of the disease, the minimum course of treatment should be 1 week.
To consolidate the therapeutic effect, it is recommended that after the disappearance of the symptoms of the disease continue treatment for another 2-3 days. In the absence of improvement of the condition, it is necessary to consult a doctor. Shake before use!
Inhalation therapy with Prospan
For carrying out inhalations using Prospan, drops for ingestion and inhalation, all standard devices and devices for spraying without heating (nebulizers) are suitable. To prevent side effects of irritation due to the content of ethyl alcohol, during inhalation the drug should be diluted with drinking water in a 1: 2 ratio.
In a special inhalation device, drip 20-25 drops of the drug and dilute it with drinking water at room temperature in a 1: 2 ratio. Inhalation spend 3-5 times a day.
In general, Prospan drops and syrup are well tolerated. Sometimes it is possible to develop allergic reactions in the form of skin rash, itching, and also urticaria (rash and swelling that resemble a nettle burn). In this case, the drug should be discontinued and consult a doctor.
Signs of overdose: nausea, diarrhea.
Treatment: discontinuation of medication; symptomatic therapy.
- The drug does not contain alcohol, sugar and dyes.
- During storage, a slight turbidity of the syrup and slight changes in taste are possible, which does not affect the therapeutic effect of the drug. Patients with diabetes should take into account that 2.5 ml of syrup contains 0.963 g of sorbitol, which corresponds to 0.08 XE.
- The product contains 47 vol. % alcohol.
- The maximum single dose for adults (20 drops) contains 0.25 g of absolute ethanol, the maximum daily dose for adults contains 1.27 g of absolute ethyl alcohol. In one drop of the drug contains 0.013 g of absolute ethanol. Does not contain sugar, preservatives and dyes.
- During storage, slight turbidity of the liquid, formation of a precipitate and slight changes in taste are possible, which does not affect the therapeutic effect of the drug.
- When using the drug, care should be taken when driving and engaging in other potentially hazardous activities that require high concentration of attention and speed of psychomotor reactions.
The drug should not be used simultaneously with antitussive drugs, as this makes coughing of liquefied sputum difficult.
We picked up some reviews of people using Prospan syrup:
- Tatyana. We have Prospan and drops of syrup at home. Elder when you cough do inhalations with drops, and the youngest in the syrup give. The doctor prescribed it for the first time two years ago, so we use it when the cough begins. I like Prospan, because it is natural and helps fast enough.
- Nastya. I have Prospan all treated. Younger very inhalation help with dry cough. I give a sachet to my husband if he comes in, because at home we cannot be treated - we have a lot of work! But it is very convenient. One packet - one dose. opened, drank, threw, went on. Dissolve, somehow cook additionally not necessary. And the daughter loves the syrup in a vial. He has a pleasant cherry taste (by the way, my husband says that orange tastes in sachet), not a cure - but a sweet tale. But seriously, it helps very well, when the mucus does not move well, to cough up and pull it away. Good remedy. German, by the way, which is a plus for me personally.
- Katya. About a month tormented cough. During this time, managed to try all sorts of syrups, pills and even cough drops. Probably, my torture with cough would continue like this if the pediatrician of my baby did not recommend drinking my syrup. After a couple of days of reception, I was able to sleep, so that I did not choke my cough, and after a week of taking it, the cough began to disappear and disappeared altogether. And after her recovery, a friend advised me to have an effervescent cough pill in my home medicine cabinet.
Structural analogues of the active substance:
- Prospan sachet.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
What to choose: Gedeliks or Prospan?
Gedelix is cheaper than Prospan - this is its main advantage. But what is more suitable for the treatment of cough is that there is no definite answer, because each person has a different immune system or reaction to a particular drug.
But still there is one weighty and decisive difference between these two analogues, which often determines the choice in favor of Prospan. The instructions of the Gedelix medicine indicate that for children whose age does not exceed two years, the use of the product is excluded, which is not the case with Prospan syrup, which, in turn, has no age limit. Therefore, if we are talking about choosing a cough medicine for a small child, then it is better not to risk your health and choose a drug that is more expensive, but absolutely safe.
When choosing a drug, it is important to consider whether there is an allergy to any of its components, and, on this basis, to make a choice.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Store at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C. Keep out of the reach of children.
- Drops - 4 years;
- Syrup - 3 years, after opening the bottle - 3 months.