Neo-penotran is a combined agent containing two active ingredients: miconazole, the effect of which is aimed at eliminating the fungus, and metronidazole, which has a detrimental effect on some representatives of the bacterial flora.
Acting together, these substances destroy a wide range of pests that cause thrush, microflora disorders and inflammation of the vaginal mucosa.
The medicine fights the problem purposefully and effectively.
Clinical and pharmacological group
A drug with antibacterial, antiprotozoal and antifungal effects for local use in gynecology.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much does Neo-Penotran Forte in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 900 rubles.
Release form and composition
Dosage form of Neo-Penotran Forte - vaginal suppositories, which are a flat body with a rounded end, almost white or white (7 pieces in a plastic blister, 1 blister in a cardboard box).
Active substances in the composition of 1 suppository:
- Neo-Penotran: metronidazole in the amount of 1/2 g + miconazole nitrate in the amount of 1/10 g + excipients (witepsol of 1.9 grams).
- Neo-Penotran Forte: metronidazole in the amount of 3/4 g + miconazole nitrate in the amount of 1/5 g + excipients (1.5 grams of Witepsol).
- Neo-Penotran Forte L: metronidazole in the amount of 3/4 g + micronazole nitrate in the amount of 1/5 g + lidocaine - excipients (witepsol, 1.44 grams).
The active ingredients (miconazole and metronidazole) of the drug have a local antibacterial, antifungal and antiprotozoal effects.
Thanks to this combination of components, Neo-Penotran suppositories are effective in the treatment of diseases caused by the following pathogens: Gardnerella vaginalis. Trihomonas vaginalis. Pathogenic fungi (Candida albicans also). Anaerobic bacteria (including anaerobic streptococcus). Neo-Penotran is also effective against gram-positive bacteria.
Indications for use
This drug is prescribed only to women, the male population is not intended. It is prescribed "Neo-Penotran Forte", an analogue of the drug, that is, a substitute with similar therapeutic actions, for the following diseases:
- Vaginal candidiasis.
- Trichomonas vaginitis.
- Vaginitis mixed form.
- Vaginitis bacterial properties.
- Vulvovaginitis of fungal origin.
On the advice of doctors, this drug is used during the week before and after surgery. According to clinical trials, "Neo-Penotran" reduces almost twice the risk of complications after surgical interventions.
The use of suppositories Neo-Penotran Forte is contraindicated in certain pathological and physiological conditions of the body, which include:
- I trimester of pregnancy;
- age up to 18 years;
- severe abnormal liver function;
- hypersensitivity to the active components of Neo-Penotran Forte or their derivatives.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Neo-Penotran Forte is contraindicated in the first trimester of pregnancy. In the II and III trimesters, the drug can be used if there is a strict indication, under careful control of the condition and provided that the expected benefit to the woman outweighs the possible risks to the fetus.
As for the lactation period, it is recommended to stop breastfeeding for the period of treatment. You can resume breastfeeding in 1-2 days after the end of therapy.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicate that vaginal suppositories Neo-Penotran Forte should be inserted deep into the vagina using disposable fingertips contained in the package.
- Enter intravaginally 1 suppository for the night for 7 days.
- When recurrent vaginitis or vaginitis resistant to other types of treatment, Neo-Penotran Forte should be used within 14 days.
For elderly patients older than 65 years, no dosage regimen adjustment is required.
"Neo-Penotran Forte" is a medicine, which means that, like any medicine, it can negatively affect the human body as a whole. Candles "Neo-Penotran Forte" can contribute to the following symptoms:
- Violation of blood readings, for example, a decrease in the number of leukocytes.
- Allergies: pruritus, urticaria, rash, swelling, facial flushing, and even anaphylactic shock.
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, dry or metallic taste in the mouth, stomatitis, disturbed taste buds, constipation, abdominal pain.
- Vaginal discomfort: itching, burning, redness, irritation. In case of severe irritation, it is necessary to discontinue treatment with this drug.
- Nervous system disorders, such as fatigue, dizziness and weakness, convulsions, hot temper and mood swings, false sensations, headache.
After the end of the therapeutic course, all the above symptoms disappear by themselves. Some adverse events are theoretically possible due to the low absorbability of lidocaine when using a suppository.
Cases of overdose with intravaginal administration of suppositories Neo-Penotran fort have not been registered to date.
In case of accidental ingestion of candles, gastric, intestinal lavage and intestinal sorbents (activated carbon) are being washed. In the case of the absorption of a significant amount of metronidazole supportive symptomatic therapy is carried out, there is no specific antidote.
Before you start using the drug, read the specific instructions:
- In patients with trichomonas vaginitis, simultaneous treatment of the sexual partner is necessary.
- The patient should be informed that suppositories should not be swallowed or used in any other way.
- Caution should be exercised when using suppositories at the same time as contraceptive diaphragms and condoms due to possible damage to the rubber backing of suppositories.
- It is necessary to avoid taking alcohol during treatment and, at least, within 24-48 hours after the end of the course due to the development of possible disulfiram-like reactions.
- Possible changes in the results when determining the level of liver enzymes, glucose (hexokinase method), theophylline and procainamide in the blood.
Preclinical data indicate the absence of a specific risk to humans, based on the results of standard safety studies, pharmacology, multiple dose toxicity, genotoxicity, carcinogenic potential, and reproductive system toxicity.
When using the drug, you must consider the interaction with other drugs:
- The interaction of metronidazole with ethanol can cause disulfiram-like reactions.
- With simultaneous use with lithium, an increase in lithium toxicity may be observed.
- With simultaneous use with phenobarbital there is a decrease in the concentration of metronidazole in the blood.
- With simultaneous use with oral anticoagulants, there is an increase in anticoagulant action.
- With simultaneous use with disulfiram possible side effects from the central nervous system (psychotic reactions).
- With simultaneous use with cimetidine, the concentration of metronidazole in the blood may increase and the risk of neurological side effects may increase.
- With simultaneous use of phenytoin, there is a decrease in the concentration of metronidazole in the blood while increasing the concentration of phenytoin.
- With simultaneous use with astemizole and terfenadine, metronidazole and miconazole inhibit the metabolism of these substances and increase their plasma concentrations.
We picked up some reviews of people using the drug Neo-Penotran Forte:
- Irina. I occasionally have bacterial vaginitis - from malnutrition, colds and weakened immunity. I have already learned to fight with him - every six months I go through therapy with candles Neo-Penotran Forte, which I once wrote to me as a gynecologist. I like the fact that they effectively reduce the amount of discharge, eliminate itching.
- Kseniya. Hello, I want to share the experience of using this drug, I tried to get pregnant for two years and didn’t work, in the end our local gynecologist put on bacterial vaginosis and prescribed a whole bunch of drugs for 1000 rubles, I did not listen and went for a consultation to a paid clinic, they said that I need to collect all the tests, it is also expensive, and I mentioned this drug, I decided to buy the risk at my own risk ... and what do you think, two weeks after the end of the reception is pregnancy, so it helps, in the first days of taking strength and n structure, and further as born again, I advise !!! girls!
- Marina. Last month, for the first time, I came across manifestations of thrush, which I had previously only read in Internet reviews. Allocation began to look like "cottage cheese", itching, burning. The doctor wrote me candles for Neo-Penotran Forte, told me to use it for seven days, and then get tested. The drug helped to cope with discomfort, it was easily tolerated.
How to replace Neo Penotran Forte in case of individual intolerance of the composition and in the presence of contraindications:
- Klion-D 100.
- Metromikon-Neo and others.
Neo-Penotran has no exact analogues, the above preparations have similar pharmacological properties, but differ in composition.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Keep out of reach of children and sunlight at room temperature. Shelf life - 3 years.