Xylen - alpha adrenergic; vasoconstrictor intended for local use in ENT practice.
The use of Xilen leads to a narrowing of the blood vessels of the nasal mucous membranes and contributes to: the restoration of the nasal passages, the elimination of hyperemia (overflow of blood vessels) and edema of the nasal mucosa, relief of nasal breathing.
The effect of the drug develops quite quickly (within a few minutes after applying the spray or drops), the duration is up to 10 hours.
Vasoconstrictor for local use in ENT practice. Alpha adrenomimetic.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much is Xilen? The average price in pharmacies is at 30 rubles.
Release form and composition
Xylene is produced in the form of:
- Nasal 0.05% and 0.1% spray (clear, colorless liquid) with a content of 500 μg and 1 mg in 1 ml of xylometazoline hydrochloride and auxiliary substances, respectively: purified water, disodium edetate, sodium dihydrogen phosphate dihydrate, sodium hydrogen phosphate dihydrate, sodium chloride , benzalkonium chloride. In dark bottles with a spray of 10 ml and 15 ml;
- Nasal 0.05% and 0.1% drops (a clear, colorless liquid) with a content of 500 μg and 1 mg, respectively, of xylometazoline hydrochloride in 1 ml and auxiliary components: sodium hydrogen phosphate dodecahydrate, benzalkonium chloride, sodium chloride, disodium edetate, potassium dihydrogen phosphate, purified water. In dropper bottles of 10 ml.
The active ingredient of the drug is Xylometazoline hydrochloride. It is an alpha adrenomimetic of indiscriminate action. In small doses, acts on alpha1-adrenergic receptors, in large doses - on alpha2-adrenergic receptors. In contact with the nasal mucosa reduces blood vessels, reduces the intensity of inflammation and exudation. Relieves the nose from redness and swelling. Eases breathing through the nose for rhinitis.
With nasal use, Xylometazoline almost does not enter the bloodstream. It is well tolerated even in people with high sensitivity of the nasal mucosa.
Indications for use
Due to its actions, the drug is popular in the treatment of ENT diseases. It is prescribed to both adults and children.
Xylen is usually prescribed for the following diseases:
- Rhinitis in acute form;
- Otitis media;
- Rhinitis allergic etiology.
When otitis is also necessary to bury the nose, and not the ear passages. There is an opinion that Xylen can be used as eye drops, however, eye disease instructions do not refer to indications; on the contrary, it is not recommended to use the drug in patients with glaucoma.
It is also recommended to use the drug for heavy discharge from the nose and its congestion, which are a sign of various respiratory and viral diseases. Xylene is used after surgery on the nose, as well as before some medical procedures, for example, before rhinoscopy.
- Surgical interventions on the meninges in history;
- Children's age up to 2 years - for 0.05% spray, up to 6 years - for 0.1% drops and spray;
- Lactation period (or should stop breastfeeding);
- Atrophic rhinitis;
- Severe arterial hypertension;
- Severe atherosclerosis;
- Individual hypersensitivity to xylometazoline or auxiliary components of the drug.
Relative (special caution required):
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia;
- Coronary heart disease;
Use during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy and lactation should be used only after a thorough assessment of the ratio of risk and benefits for the mother and fetus, it is not allowed to exceed the recommended doses.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicated: spray and drops Xilen intended for intranasal use. Before each injection, the nasal passages must be cleaned of mucus.
- The minimum interval between applications is 8 hours. The duration of treatment is determined by the attending physician, but it should not exceed 5 days.
- Adults and children over 6 years old - 1-2 drops of 0.1% drops or 1 injection of 0.1% spray in each nasal passage 2-3 times a day;
- Children 2-6 years old - 1-2 drops of 0.05% drops or 1 injection of 0.05% spray in each nasal passage 1-2 times a day;
- Children from birth to 2 years - 1-2 drops of 0.05% drops in each nasal passage 1-2 times a day.
If the patient missed the time of drug administration, it is not possible to double the dose during the next procedure.
With frequent and / or long-term use of the drug, the following side effects are possible: irritation of the mucous membrane, burning, tingling, sneezing, dry nasal mucosa, hypersecretion.
Sometimes, Xylene's intake is accompanied by swelling of the nasal mucosa (more often with prolonged use), palpitations, cardiac arrhythmia, increased blood pressure, headache, vomiting, sleep disorder, visual impairment.
With prolonged use in high doses, depression may occur.
Cases of drug overdose occur in rare cases, while respecting the recommended dose. With uncontrolled use of nasal drops and the use of the drug for more than 14 days, the patient has systemic signs of overdose:
- Pain in temples and nape;
- High blood pressure;
- Depressive disorders;
- Constant drowsiness and apathy to what is happening;
- Lethargy and fatigue;
- Strengthening the above side effects.
With the development of such clinical symptoms, the patient should immediately abandon drug therapy and consult a doctor. If necessary, treatment is carried out aimed at eliminating the symptoms of overdose.
It should not be used for a long time, for example, in chronic rhinitis. For colds, in cases where crusts form in the nose, it is preferable to prescribe it as a gel.
With caution appoint xylometazoline to children under the age of 2 years (gel - up to 7 years).
Incompatible with MAO inhibitors and tricyclic antidepressants.
We picked up some reviews of people taking the drug Xylen:
- Catherine. Yes, the drops are cheap, but not always they can be found in the pharmacy. This is such a minus. I switched to these drops from Naphthyzinum. At cost, of course, there is no benefit. But I undoubtedly like the effect more. With xylene, you can drip your nose once, and everything will pass at least half a day. But he still causes a slight dryness in his nose, so that very often I don’t give him a drink. If you compare it with the same Naphthyzinum, then it is a huge plus that these drops are not addictive.
- Vadim. Good cheap drops, help with cold and chronic nasal congestion. Act quickly and after a couple of minutes the nose begins to breathe. Moreover, re-instillation takes hours after 10 only, not like with other drops almost every half hour. In my opinion, compared to other drops, Xilen wins in everything.
- Sasha. Often stuffy nose. And “Xylene” directly saves me. Undoubted advantages: a plastic bottle (it’s not scary to break when throwing into a purse, very gently removes congestion, price (average price in all pharmacies of my city is 20 rubles, by today's standards it’s not money). Cons: slow action. If you need to his nose began to breathe quickly, then “Xilen” would not work, since he can relieve the stuffiness up to half an hour. Also, if he uses it at least 2-3 times a day, his nose starts to ache, but this is not surprising.
Xylen's analogues include medicines:
- According to the active substance - Influrin, Rinonorm, Otrivin, Xymelin, Rinorus, Galazolin, Foros, Espasolin, Farmazolin, Rinomaris, Sialor, Xylometazoline, Nosolin, Snoop, Rhinostop, Influrin;
- According to the mechanism of action - Nesopin, Oxymetazoline, Sanorin, Rinosprey, Nazivin, Nazol, Naphthyzinum, Nazosprey, Sanorinchik, Afrin, Naphthyzinum.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Store in original packaging at a temperature between 15 and 25 ºС.
Shelf life - 3 years.