Vilprafen is widely used to treat bacterial and fungal diseases.
The drug belongs to the group of macrolides - antibiotics, similar in action to penicillins. It has a bacteriostatic, and in large doses, a bactericidal effect. Almost completely metabolized in the body, and its residues and metabolites are excreted in the urine.
On this page you will find all the information about Vilprafen: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Vilprafen. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Antibiotic macrolide group.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much is Vilprafen? The average price in pharmacies is at the level of 600 rubles.
Release form and composition
The drug Vilprafen is available in the form of tablets for oral administration in a carton in blisters of 10 pieces. Each tablet is coated with a film of white color and has a horizontal notch on one side.
- active ingredient: josamycin - 500 mg,
- excipients: microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 80, colloidal silicon oxide, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, magnesium stearate, hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, Macrogol 6000, talc, titanium dioxide, aluminum hydroxide, methacrylic acid copolymer and its esters.
The bactericidal effect of the active substance of the drug is due to the fact that josamycin is able to bind to the large subunit of the ribosomal membrane (50S), does not allow for the fixation of transport RNA, and also blocks the translocation of A-center peptides (a type of mutation that is accompanied by chromosomal rearrangement affecting the properties of the cell) and inhibits the intracellular production of proteins from amino acids.
The spectrum of action of josamycin included in Vilprafen is quite wide.
The substance has activity against gram-positive aerobic microorganisms, including:
- Excreted by the body during inflammatory processes of peptococci;
- Peptostreptokokk, which provoke the development of mixed infections;
- The causative agent of anthrax - Bacillus anthrax;
- Bacteria of the genus Corynebacterium, which are the causative agents of diphtheria;
- Clostridium perfringens - causative agents of gas gangrene and human toxicoinfections;
Wilprafen is also active against gram-negative microorganisms, including:
- Hemophilus, the cause of hemophilic infections, including purulent meningitis, acute pneumonia, pericarditis, septicemia, etc .;
- Neyserii, which are the causative agents of diseases such as gonorrhea and meningitis;
- Some varieties of shigella, provoking the development of dysentery;
- Bacteroid fragilis, which are the causative agents of purulent-infectious diseases, developing after suffering injuries, surgical interventions, immunodeficiency, etc .;
Also, josamycin has activity against various intracellular parasites: chlamydia, legionella, mycoplasmas, ureaplasmas.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Vilprafen is prescribed for the treatment of the following infectious and inflammatory diseases caused by microorganisms sensitive to josamycin:
- Whooping cough;
- Infections in ophthalmology (dacryocystitis, blepharitis);
- Infections in dentistry (pericoronitis, alveolitis, gingivitis, periodontitis and alveolar abscess);
- Burn and wound (including postoperative) infections;
- Gonorrhea, venereal lymphogranuloma, syphilis (in case of hypersensitivity to penicillin);
- Infections of the upper respiratory tract and upper respiratory tract, including pharyngitis, sinusitis, tonsillitis, laryngitis, paratonsillitis and otitis media;
- Lower respiratory tract infections, including community-acquired pneumonia, acute and chronic bronchitis (exacerbations);
- Scarlet fever (Vilprafen is prescribed in the case of hypersensitivity to penicillin antibiotics);
- Diphtheria (in combination therapy with diphtheria antitoxin);
- Infections of the genital organs and urinary tract (cervicitis, prostatitis, urethritis and epididymitis caused by mycoplasmas and / or chlamydia);
- Infections of soft tissues and skin (furunculosis, furuncle, anthrax, acne, abscess, folliculitis, erysipelas, lymphadenitis, felon, lymphangitis and phlegmon);
- Gastrointestinal disorders caused by Helicobacter pylori, including chronic gastritis and peptic ulcer and 12 duodenal ulcers.
The drug is contraindicated in severe violations of the liver or in the presence of hypersensitivity to the drug.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
The drug is not prescribed for pregnant women if there are severe violations in the liver, sensitivity to the components.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that the recommended dose for adults and adolescents over 14 years old is 1-2 g in 2-3 doses. The initial recommended dose is 1 g.
- For the treatment of rosacea - 500 mg 2 times / day for 10-15 days.
- For the treatment of pyoderma - 500 mg 2 times / day for 10 days.
- For the treatment of urogenital chlamydia - 500 mg 2 times / day for 12-14 days.
- For the treatment of chronic periodontitis, with abscess formation of the periodontal bone - 500 mg 2 times / day for 12-14 days.
- For ordinary and spherical (conglobate) acne, 500 mg 2 times / day are prescribed for the first 2-4 weeks, then 500 mg 1 time / day as maintenance therapy for 8 weeks.
Tablets should be swallowed, without chewing, with a small amount of liquid, between meals. Usually the duration of treatment is determined by the doctor. In accordance with the WHO recommendations on the use of antibiotics, the duration of treatment of streptococcal infections should be at least 10 days.
Infants and children under the age of 14 years, it is preferable to prescribe the drug in suspension. The daily dose is 30-50 mg / kg of body weight, divided into 3 doses. In newborns and children under the age of 3 months, the dose should be selected in accordance with the exact body weight of the child.
Shake the vial with suspension before use.
With proper use of the drug and accurate compliance with the dose indicated in the instructions, Vilprafen is well tolerated by patients, but in some cases the following side effects may develop:
- Allergic skin reactions: urticaria, rash, angioedema, in very rare cases, anaphylactic shock.
- Gastrointestinal tract: nausea, abdominal pain, excessive salivation, heartburn, vomiting, indomitable diarrhea, the development of inflammation in the intestines rare.
- On the part of the liver and biliary tract: an increase in the activity of hepatic transaminases, rarely a violation of the outflow of bile and the functioning of the gallbladder due to which patients developed jaundice.
With respect to the means so far, overdose cases have not been reported. In the case of an overdose after taking the drug, it is necessary to assume that the side effects are enhanced, symptomatic therapy should be implemented.
- In patients with renal insufficiency, dosing regimen adjustment is required in accordance with the CC values.
- Josamycin is not prescribed to premature babies. When used in newborns, liver function must be monitored.
- If pseudomembranous colitis develops, josamycin should be canceled and appropriate therapy should be prescribed. Drugs that reduce intestinal motility, are contraindicated.
The possibility of cross-resistance to various macrolide antibiotics should be taken into account (for example, microorganisms that are resistant to treatment with antibiotics related to chemical structure may also be resistant to josamycin).
- Vilprafen inhibits the elimination of xanthines, which can trigger the development of intoxication.
- It is recommended to avoid the simultaneous use of vilprafen with other antibiotics. This may reduce their effectiveness.
- Simultaneous use of an antibiotic with cyclosporine can lead to an increase in the concentration of the latter, therefore, its level should be monitored throughout the treatment.
- Admission vilprafena can reduce the effectiveness of hormonal contraceptives, so in order to avoid unwanted pregnancy, it is recommended to additionally use non-hormonal contraceptives.
- The combined use of vilprafen with antihistamines, including astemizole and terfenadine, increases the concentration of the latter, which can lead to the development of serious cardiac life-threatening arrhythmias.
We picked up some reviews of people about the drug Vilprafen:
- Masha. Passed the examination during pregnancy, passed the tests and it turned out that I have ureaplasmosis. The doctor wrote me “Vilprafen” + drugs for dysbacteriosis. I was very worried whether they could be during pregnancy, but she convinced me that they were quite benign, but at the same time effective. Passed a full course, no side effects were observed. But the most important thing that helped! I took note of these pills because I read that they have a rather broad spectrum of action and at an affordable price.
- Artem. Used this antibiotic for the first time this year when he fell ill. My throat was sore and my head was bothering me. My mom recommended the medicine. She was prescribed this medicine by a doctor in the year when she had a severe sore throat, and she treated her for more than two months. What can I say about the medicine? Yes, I do not know, it helped me or another set of drugs that I used. But I cured my disease for ten days, as I began to take this antibiotic. No allergies or disorders in the intestines, I did not have a rash. The device is transferred well. Not happy with the price of the medicine, in our city costs about four hundred rubles!
According to reviews, Vilprafen is a fairly effective drug, but the risk of adverse reactions during treatment is quite high. Patients diagnosed with chlamydia and ureaplasmosis report that within a few days after the start of the drug, the symptoms of the disease disappear without a trace. There are reports of such side effects of Vilprafen as gastrointestinal disorders and allergic rashes, which are relatively common.
Vilprafen is similar to Wilprafen Solutab.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Tablets should be kept out of the reach of children, avoiding exposure to sunlight on the package. The optimum temperature for storage is no more than 25 degrees.
The shelf life of the tablets is 3 years from the date of manufacture, at the end of this period unused medicine should be discarded.